Background of Establishment of National Curriculum Council (NCC)
- As a result of the 18th Constitutional Amendment, the subjects in the Concurrent List were devolved to provinces including Curriculum. Besides capacity issues, working separately on Curriculum by provinces and areas not only created disconnect between the education and training of the children of nation but also affected quality and standards. For a nation to build itself, there was a need to adhere to a certain common sets of lessons based on Islamic ideology enunciated in the Constitution of Islamic Republic of Pakistan leading to national cohesion. Hence, there was a great need to devise and maintain common curricula in every field.
- The National Education Policy (NEP) 2009 continues to be a jointly owned national document ever since the amendment. NEP 2009 assigns Inter Provincial Education Ministerial Conference (IPEMC) the role to oversee educational development including monitoring and review of the NEP.
- In the light of the aforementioned decision, the formation of the National Curriculum Council (NCC) was approved unanimously by all provinces and areas in the IPEMC held on Feb 11, 2014, with the objective to develop minimum Curriculum that ensures Minimum National Standards in all subjects and emphasizes on national ideology and societal needs.
Formation of NCC
- National Curriculum Council is a 46 members body the includes the following:
- Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training as Chairman
- Provincial and Area Education Ministers
- Chairman HEC
- Heads of Ittehad Tanzimat ul Madaris Pakistan
- Chairmen of Provincial Textbook Boards
- Representatives from Army, Navy and Air Force Educational Institutions
- Eminent Scholars and educationists
Role of NCC
- NCC serves as a professional, advisory and consultative national body to steer and guide the development of curriculum in close collaboration with all the federating units.
- From 2016 onwards, NCC developed the following:
- Minimum Standards of Quality Education
- National Curriculum Framework
- Values Education Supplement for Curriculum
- Curriculum for Islamabad Capital Territory (ICT) 2017-18 from Grade Pre I-VIII
- Textbooks for ICT from Grade Pre I-V
- At present development of Single National Curriculum (SNC) for the country is in progress. The first phase for SNC for Grade Pre I-V has been developed and textbooks are being developed now.
National Curriculum Council (NCC) Secretariat
- The Secretariat of National Curriculum Council is located on Plot 35 H-9/4 Islamabad. Since 1970’s this building has been used as Curriculum Wing where experts from throughout Pakistan have been gathering and developing education curriculum for Pakistani students.
- This building consists of nine committee rooms where meetings of the subject experts are conducted time to time. Moreover, there is a library that serves as a resource centre for students and experts of education with special reference to curriculum studies. There are offices for officers responsible for coordinating the curriculum development and textbooks review process in different subjects. An auditorium is also available where different conferences and workshops are conducted on different themes related to Curriculum development.
Future Tasks of NCC
- Development of Textbooks for Grade Pre I to V under Single National Curriculum.
- Development of Single National Curriculum for Grade VI to VIII.
- Development of Textbooks for Grade VI to VIII.
- Development of Single National Curriculum for Grade IX to XII.
- Development of Textbooks for Grade IX to XII.
- Development of Teacher Training Modules.
- Development of Assessment Frameworks.
Address: Plot 35, Sector H-9/4, Islamabad
Joint Educational Advisor: +92 51 9265579
Education Office: +92 51 9265583
Admin Office: +92 51 9265572
Library: +92 51 9265574